Tuesday, June 21, 2011

On My Way To The Dentist ...

On my way to an appointment with the dentist this morning, I got to thinking about being a patient, and the art of having patience.  
Rotator Cuff Injury
As some of you know, following rotator cuff surgery, I am wearing a specially designed arm sling much like the one in this photograph. 

Cumbersome, and on my primary arm, I felt that driving was going to be an anxiety ridden, and scary undertaking.  Believing this to be true, in advance of knowing with certainty, cautiously I proceeded.  At the speed limit!

Driving in the slow lane.  Dead-still  at all stop signs, carefully over the speed bumps, it began to occur to me how others may have felt in the same or similar situation. 

With this experience came a renewed appreciation for the art of patience.

 1. the quality of being patient, as the bearing of provocation, annoyance, misfortune, or pain, without complaint, loss of temper, irritation, or the like.
2. an ability or willingness to suppress restlessness or annoyance when confronted with delay: to have patience with a slow driver.
3. quiet, steady perseverance; even-tempered care; diligence: to drive with patience. 
 
Have you been reminded of something similar lately?

2 comments:

  1. Glad you drove the speed limit with that contraption on your arm! We experienced patience when removing carpet pad and finding that the installer was staple happy! I think I'll be using paper clips as I don't care to see another staple for a very long time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That doesn't look like fun at all! Sending get well wishes your way :)
    Patience is something I can definitley use some lessons on!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are this blogs happiness! She told me ...